Rodents may refer to Rats or Mice, which typically live in groups, in nests, constructed of soft materials such as paper, fabrics and insulation. They are most commonly found in wall voids, roof voids, under floors and in stored foods.
They are scavengers whose nests ares typically located in close proximatey to food and water.
A rodent infestation can pose a serious health problem to humans because of their ability to transmit diseases to humans by a variety of means.
The most commonly occurring rodents found in the Gold Coast and Northern Rivers regions are:
Also see the Rodent Profile prepared by AEPMA
What can you do to reduce your risk of rodent infestation?
Taking the following precautions will help help to maintain rodent control around your home:
- Seal any gaps in walls and around pipes.
- Secure ventilation holes and drain pipes with mesh.
- Use draft excluders on the bottoms of external doors.
- Cleanliness. Cleanliness . Cleanliness.
- Keep food in sealed containers.
- Clear away pet food bowls after use.
- Dispose of rubbish and clean up any spillages ASAP.
- Keep bin lids closed.
- Stay on top of your garden and lawn maintenance.
- Clear up any fallen fruit and leftover bird food from your garden.