Pest Management in the Food Industry
Surekil Pest Control work with café and restaurant food businesses to implement a Pest Management Program inline with the AEPMA Code of Practice For Pest Management in the Food Industry in Australia & New Zealand, which covers all legislative requirements and ensures industry best practices and supports your food safety program.
Food business must do everything they reasonably can to prevent pest problems and to keep food safe and protected from pests and the harmful microorganisms they can carry, this means:
- pests are stopped from entering or living in food premises
- pests are eradicated from premises and vehicles used to transport food.
Common pests that can be found in food premises include:
- Rodents (eg. rats and mice)
- Insects (eg. cockroaches, flies and ants)
- Birds (eg. pigeons)
Pest Management Plan
A good pest management plan should cover:
- the types of pests and treatments to be used
- areas that need inspection and treatment (e.g. behind appliances and equipment, inside wall cavities and cupboards, under and inside boxes and packaging)
- locations of pest control devices and pesticides. Place them where pesticides or killed pests can’t come in contact with food or food contact surfaces (e.g. not above food preparation areas). Keep a site map of where devices and pesticides are located
- how often inspections and treatments need to be done - this will depend on the location, climate, food activities, type of pests and activity. Regular inspections and treatments will ensure expired pesticides aren’t used and baits are replaced or reset and dead pests are removed.
All pesticides should be approved for use in food premises and include safety and expiry information.
Pest Management Handbook for Food Service Business Operators
AEPMA have created the Pest Management Handbook for Food Service Business Operators to:
- Assist food Service business operators achieve the best results in managing and preventing pests and complying to existing laws and requirements.
- To help food Service business operators select a professional Pest Manager and ensure that the service outcomes meet their requirements.
- To offer tips and advice for food Service business operators to self-manage their pest management.
- To give guidance on products and devices and their effectiveness or suitability for a food service business.
- NSW Food Authority - Pest control: http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/rp/pest-control
- Food Standards Code- Pests: http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/foodsafety/standards/Pages/Pests.aspx
- Pest control in food businesses fact sheet: http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/_Documents/retailfactsheets/pest_control.pdf
- Food Regulation 2016: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/sl-2016-0122
- Food Production (Safety) Act 2000: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-2000-045
- Food Act 2006: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-2006-003
- Food Production (Safety) Regulation 2014: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/sl-2014-0197