Cockroaches have the ability to carry disease producing organism such as dysentery, diarrhoea and salmonella and are one of the most common insects found in homes, restaurants and general food handling areas. They are scavengers and will eat a wide variety of food sources including various food scraps, glue, leather and hair.
Cockroaches are nocturnal and usually hide in dark warm places around homes such as cracks, crevices and behind large household appliances.
There are approximately 3500 species of cockroaches, the four most common species found on the Gold Coast and Tweed are:
|Colour:||Brown, with pronounced banding across the wings||
Light brown to tan, with two dark, almost parallel stripes located on their backs, just behind their heads
|Reddish brown, with a yellowish figure 8 pattern on the back of the head||Reddish brown, with a yellowish margin on the back of the head and yellow streaks on the sides|
|Size:||10 - 15mm||12 - 15mm||35 - 40mm||23 - 35mm|
Tips for managing Cockroaches around your home
Eliminating cockroaches three basic requirements, food, water and a place to hide, will greatly reduce your chances of developing a cockroach problem in your home.
- Keeping your home hygienically clean. Removing food scraps, cleaning and putting away dishes, food utensils etc.
- Wipe down kitchen benches, kitchen stoves etc, to remove food and grease traces that cockroaches feed on.
- Make sure you remove crumbs from inside and below the toaster, regularly clean behind spice racks, behind bread bins, coffee machines etc.
- Regularly vacuum and mop your floor to remove food traces and crumbs. Even the tiniest amount of food is enough to encourage cockroaches.
- Storing food in airtight containers.
- Sealing gaps in cupboard doors, external doors, gaps in walls, windows and in the bathroom will reduce places cockroaches can hide.
- Wash pet food bowls and clean food scraps from around them daily. Cockroaches like moisture so keep surfaces dry. Wipe down sinks, kitchen benches and showers after use.
- Fix leaking taps and pipes.
Depending on the type of cockroaches and the extent of the infestation, Surekil Pest Control may recommend the use of a combination of sprays, dusts and baits to control the problem.