Ants live in nest colonies that range in size from a few to hundreds of thousands. They are foragers and will eat a large variety of foods such as sweets, grease, oils, vegetables, honeydew and other insects. They carry their food back to the nest where they feed the queen, the lava and themselves. The two most common type of ants on the Gold Coast and Tweed are:
The Black Ant
These ants nest in doors, behind wall paper, in ceilings and between walls. They prefer sweeter foods such as honey, sugar and cakes. They are most commonly found in kitchens, toilets and bathrooms as they need moisture.
The Coastal Brown Ant
Theses ants nest mainly in soil, gardens and under bark and stones. They prefer more savoury foods such as seeds, meats, oils and dead insects.
Tips for managing Ants around your home
- General cleanliness in and around a building.
- Keep kitchen surfaces clean.
- Keep food in sealed containers.
- Clean outdoor eating areas.
- Conceal areas around door thresholds, windows, and openings where utility pipes and wires enter buildings.
- Fix leaking taps and pipes.
- Trash cans should be kept concealed and emptied regularly.
- Trim back shrubs and limbs touching the building.
- Wash pet food bowls and clean food scraps from around them daily.
- Regularly vacuum and mop your floor to remove food traces and crumbs.
- Remove crumbs from inside and below the toaster, regularly clean behind spice racks, behind bread bins, coffee machines etc.
Depending on the type of ants and the extent of the infestation, Surekil Pest Control may recommend the use of a combination of sprays, dusts and baits to control the problem.